Home  Contact Us
  Follow Us On:
 
Search:
Advertising Advertising Free Newsletter Free E-Newsletter
NEWS

US will halt funding to World Health Organization over coronavirus response
Published on: 2020-04-15
Share to
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest 

USPresident Trump announced at the White House coronavirus news briefing in the Rose Garden on Tuesday that the United States will immediately halt all funding for the World Health Organization (WHO), saying it had put "political correctness over lifesaving measures."

Also at the briefing, the president said plans to ease the national economic shutdown were being finalized, and that he would be "authorizing governors to reopen their states to reopen as they see fit." At the same time, Trump made clear that he was not going to put "any pressure" on governors to reopen.

US President Donald Trump speaks during the daily briefing on the novel coronavirus in the Rose Garden of the White House on April 14 2020 in Washington DCUS President Donald Trump speaks during the daily briefing on the novel coronavirus in the Rose Garden of the White House on April 14, 2020, in Washington, DC

Trump read a long list of names of people in business, health care and sports who will advise him on how to restart the economy. "We have to get our sports back," Trump remarked. "I'm tired of watching baseball games that are 14 years old."

A man waits for a train in a subway station during the coronavirus outbreak on April 13 in New York CityA man waits for a train in a subway station during the coronavirus outbreak on April 13 in New York City

In the meantime, Trump declared that the United States would undertake a 60-to-90 day investigation into why the "China-centric" WHO had caused "so much death" by "severely mismanaging and covering up" the coronavirus' spread, including by making the "disastrous" decision to oppose travel restrictions on China.

World Health Organization director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said getting the COVID-19 virus under control first was necessary to revive economic activity
The United States is the WHO's largest single donor, and the State Department had previously planned to provide the agency $893 million in the current two-year funding period. Trump said the United States contributes roughly $400 to $500 million per year to WHO, while China offers only about $40 million. The money saved will go to areas that "most need it," Trump asserted.

Medical personnel transport a body from a refrigerated container at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center April 8 2020 in the Brooklyn borough of New YorkMedical personnel transport a body from a refrigerated container at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, April 8, 2020, in the Brooklyn borough of New York

美国宣布撤资世卫组织

美国总统特朗普4月14日在白宫新冠疫情简报会上宣布,他已指示美国政府暂停向世界卫生组织(WHO)拨款,称WHO在处理新冠疫情上不力,导致疫情在全球大暴发。

特朗普表示,美国政府非常关注对WHO的资助是否起到了效果。美国政府正在推动一项针对世卫组织的调查,涵盖WHO“是否严重管理不当以及在掩盖新冠病毒传播方面所扮演的角色”。在调查期间暂停对WHO提供拨款。

特朗普宣布这一消息之际,世界正处于数十年来最严重的传染病大流行之中,他愤怒地回应美国媒体对其抗疫不力的指责。美国媒体最近纷纷质疑,特朗普是对疫情危机轻描淡写,还是忽视了疫情严重性的相关警告。在这样的质疑声中,特朗普试图把责任推到其他地方,包括世界卫生组织和新闻媒体。特朗普决定停止资助世界卫生组织,遵循的是对国际组织的一种怀疑模式,这早在新冠病毒大流行之前就开始了。特朗普质疑美国对联合国提供的资金,退出全球气候协议,并痛斥世界贸易组织,声称所有这些机制都是在剥削美国。

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters


busy
    Subscription    |     Advertising    |     Contact Us    |
Address: Magnetic Plaza, Building A4, 6th Floor, Binshui Xi Dao.
Nankai District. 300381 TIANJIN. PR CHINA
Tel: +86 22 23917700
E-mail: webmaster@businesstianjin.com
Copyright 2021 BusinessTianjin.com. All rights reserved.